Sunday, December 2, 2012

Female Characters in Anime and Games

If there was a Game/Anime like this, I would so absolutely watch it!



(Image Source: thejayphenrix)

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Anime and Games and this doesn't really affect my love and appreciation for them. When it comes to female characters in action/adventure type shows, I often wish they were portrayed a little differently. In most of the action series I've seen, the female usually don't fight as well as the males, often needing his rescue. Another thing that happens often is the girl will get captured and the males would then need to save her. See, I don't mind if this happens, but as a girl, it just irks me when it just happens to the girls. I think to be fair, the girls should save the guys a bit more often too! Not to say they don't, but just more often so it's balanced.

Examples: Naruto - Sakura gets into situations where the males need to save her. In Kakashi's flashback, Rin was also captured and needed the males to save her. Let's not mention Princess Peach... (That's why she's in this picture - I want her to save Mario and kick some ass one day!), in Digimon Frontier, Zoe was the only girl who needed the guys to finish her battle. In Sword Art Online, Asuna needs to be rescued as she is trapped in a cage.

I love all the shows above, but I just wish females were stronger. I understand that traditionally, females are seen as weaker and needing protection. But I don't think it would hurt to break that rule and have them kick ass. Though I realize there's a handful of awesome females who are total ass kickers, who I've blogged, but I just wish there were more.

If females were to be weak, I think having at least one main girl in any action show that can truly fight and help contribute is the key. When a show has one character, I tend to ignore anything else. It may have 10 others who constantly needs to be saved, but as long as there's one who stands out, I will forgive anything else.

What I would dream of seeing one day, is having one or more strong female lead characters in an action/adventure series (rather than a romance/magical girl - not that they're not good, but those characters use more magic than actual physical fighting) who can truly fight, and have moment where they rescue the guys, and at the same time, they show their intelligence through their action, and they can be really cute, bubbly, funny, sly, and protective at the same time.

(Okay, I'm thinking about Huang Rong again. I just can't help it, because she's like my fucking hero!)

No comments:

Post a Comment